Tuesday, June 30, 2015

• Miss L Fire Shoes for Sale! •

Last year my mom got these (so adorable) shoes for her birthday, but they ended up being the wrong size. *tears*
The shoes are a size 40, and fit like a US 9.5/10. My mom wears a 9, and you can see how much too big they are:

The shoes have only been worn twice, in our house, on carpet, with socks, just for pictures, for about 5 minutes.
In other words, they're brand new.

These shoes are SO cute, and they're no longer available in this color or size. They're 100% leather with rubber soles.

The shoes come in the original box and packaging.

$89, plus shipping (TBD based on your location).

Payment via Paypal.

To purchase them, just comment with your email address and zip code (I will not publish the comment, so your information will remain private).

Happy shoe-shopping! ;)
Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, June 29, 2015

• Rose Chintz 1940s Dress •

I had several other posts scheduled ahead of this one, but this gorgeous dress of my mom's is such a favorite, I couldn't help making it the first in line!
She just made this dress last week, but it's already my favorite garment she's ever made. She found the fabric for it at an antique shop in Wisconsin, and at the time, I really didn't like it. But as soon as I saw it becoming a dress, I fell in love too!

The fabric is only 39" wide, so it is quite obviously not modern fabric, and most likely pretty old. Does anyone know when manufacturers started making fabric wider than that? 
In any case, she happened to have some gorgeous peach (I call them sorbet) buttons that matched the fabric perfectly, so it all came together very nicely. Our green buckle (also shared with my '40s Gumdrop Dress) was the perfect match for the belt.

She used Simplicity 3847 for the bodice of the dress, adding tucks in the front and back for a fitted-at-the-waist style. The skirt is gathered, but I love how it almost looks pleated!

Aaaanndd, this is her grand premiere of bound-buttonhole-making! Fortunately (or unfortunately), she seemed to have caught on to the finer aspects of the art much faster than I did; her buttonholes put mine to shame!

The pleats are only sewn together for about 1 1/2" from the waist seam, but they give it that perfect "shirtwaist" look. So gorgeous!!

The buttons. Yummy. 

She only had 3 yards of the fabric to begin with, but managed to squeeze the whole dress (and belt!) out of it. The scraps that are leftover, however, are not going to make too many little girls' dresses; that teeny pile includes what she cut off of the hem. That's what I call economical sewing!

I hate to bring political subjects up on my blog, but what happened last week goes far beyond the realm of politics; our country has indeed been fundamentally changed.
I, as a Christian can not stand by in silence when vile sin is celebrated and uplifted. 
The Bible says, "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil..."
The morals of our country are fast disappearing, and if Christians do not take a stand, who will?
Let us pray for our country to turn from its wickedness toward God.
"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord..."
Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

• New Items in the Shop! •

I finally bit the bullet and listed the afore-promised sewing patterns! They are all complete and uncut. There are 28 of them in total, from dresses to tops to bottoms, so there's sure to be something for everyone.
Head over to my shop to check them out!!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, June 22, 2015

• Pink Gingham Shirtdress •

Today's post is about a dress made quite a while ago! 6 years ago, as a matter of fact! Back in those days, I hardly knew how to sew a straight line, much less sew a garment, so I asked my mom if she would make me a dress. She did!
It is made out of lovely pink poly-cotton gingham. I'll just go ahead and admit it; I adore poly-cotton fabric. It basically doesn't wrinkle, even with wearing it and never has to be ironed after washing. 
I also adore gingham, so this fabric is definitely a favorite.

I wore the dress every once in a while for a couple of years, but not often because the original sleeves were too tight. I finally decided to just put it away and remake it into something else later on.

Last year, after I made my first blouse, I pulled this dress out of the fabric drawer and tried it on just for fun. I mean, there's no way it would fit anymore, right? Well, the sleeves still didn't, but the dress still fit perfectly! What was the solution? I'll put on new sleeves! I happened to have the perfect sized scraps left to squeeze out some sleeves.

Although it might not be an exceedingly 1940s-looking dress, it does make a very nice housedress, and I wear it all the time!

I borrowed my mom's scarf for the pictures. Maybe I need to more permanently "borrow" it! 

I intended to have some scrumptious new sandals to wear with this dress (and a lot of others).
Long story short; there has-been a pair of Swedish Hasbeens in the house. They weren't here long, however, because they just did not fit! I ordered the Ornament Clog in 11, but the toes were extremely tight, and the heel straps were extremely uncomfortable. Back they went.
So, the long, hard sandal-hunt continues.

Meanwhile, we're keeping busy as bees because there is some amazing music going on in town! Rachel Barton Pine, the amazing violinist was in town performing with the local festival orchestra last weekend, and there are several more weeks of recitals, masterclasses, and orchestra performances with other amazingly talented artists to come. I love it! Aside from the pure enjoyment, it is very inspirational and has prodded me into practicing more, as I should. Three cheers for classical music!!

Follow Me on Pinterest