Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Finished Project: Crocheted "Bubble" Blanket




I finally finished another Crocheted "Bubble" Blanket!! It took me a long time  little while, but only because I was trying to make about a hundred things at once. It is not difficult at all, and really works up pretty fast if you stick to it. Here's some pictures and the info of how I made it! See the tutorial here (my afghan page). You have to scroll waaaaayyyy down towards the bottom of the page, and you'll see it. It's also on Ravelry. Note that you will be making this bigger than the one in the pattern because this is a queen-size afghan, so see the info below for how much bigger to make it.
Info for the purple, beige and burgundy one:
32 skeins Vanna's Choice (I used Burgundy, Beige, and Purple in that order) Remember to finish with the same color that you begin with. Use hook size I.
There are 11 stripes of burgundy, 10 beige, and 10 purple. (The 32nd skein is for the edge).
 Ch 224. Follow the directions for the rest of the afghan, remembering that there will be 31 stripes.
 I used burgundy for the border. It is basically just a small shell stitch. I only did the border on two sides of the blanket (NOT the beginning and ending edges). 
For the edge (border): Dc 3, 1 sc in next stitch, *dc 3 in next stitch, 1 sc in next stitch. Repeat from * until you reach the end. Repeat on the other side of the blanket.
Finished dimensions: 74" wide by 67" long. 

Hook Size H
Yarn: any worsted weight yarn, 4 colors
Abbreviations: sk=skip ch=chain sc=single crochet dc=double crochet tc="triple" crochet BO=bind off
"Triple" Crochet: wrap yarn around hook. Insert hook into stitch. Wrap yarn around hook and pull through. Three loops on hook. Wrap yarn around hook and pull through one loop. Wrap around again and pull through another loop. Wrap around again and pull through last loop. You have just made a "triple" crochet stitch.
Row 1: Ch 200.
Row 2: Sc into second ch from hook. Then, in the same hole, dc, and then tc. *Sk three ch, and repeat, making a sc, dc, and tc.* Repeat from * to * until you have reached the end of the row. Ch 1, turn. Repeat row 2 five times, making 6 "bubble" rows. Change colors. Repeat until blanket reaches desired width.
Finishing: After making 6 rows of the last color, ch 1, turn, and 1 sc into each stitch all the way across for a more finished look. BO. Full sized blanket should have 21 consecutive colored rows, beginning and ending with the same color.













Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love the colors!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/02/submarine-sunday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty!! Bubble stitch is on my list to learn.
    Ali @ Forty before 40
    www.40tasks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I love how the bubbly look of the afghan, and the bubbles look great as stripes. I saw it featured on Submarine Sunday and just had to stop by to see more!
    Jessica
    http://sunnystitching.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, so am I blind? I am not seeing the pattern for this? I see the chain 224, follow directions for the rest but where are the directions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the pattern is actually on a different page - I put a link to it up there but here it is for you anyway - http://dollycreates.blogspot.com/p/crocheting.html
      If you scroll waaayyy down towards the bottom, that's where the original pattern is.
      Thanks so much for visiting!!

      Delete
  5. So I know I am a little behind but my daughter really wants this blanket for Xmas. But when I try the chain 224 and then follow the instructions for the next row, I have extra chains at the end of the first row. Is that right? Or am I supposed to start stitching in the 3rd skipped chain instead of the 4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kimrwiwi,

      I'm sorry for the problem!! I would recommend just "unraveling" those extra chains at the end; if I recall, I had the same problem, but instead of correcting my instructions at the time, I forgot all about it!
      Hope this works for you! I would love to see your blanket when it's finished! :)

      Delete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)